A baptism at PCW:
- Invites people into a relationship with God; and
- Grow together as devoted followers of Christ, and
- Serve others through the power of the Holy Spirit.
Baptism is the sign and seal of our incorporation into Jesus Christ. It is God’s gift of grace and calls us to respond to that grace. It marks the new beginning of new life in Christ. It unites us with Christ and one another.
Baptism holds theological meanings of dying and rising with Christ, pardon, cleansing, renewal, the gift of the Holy Spirit and the incorporation into the body of Christ.
Our whole community supports every baptized child. Those presenting a child for baptism promise to provide nurture and guidance within the community of faith until the child is ready to make a personal profession of faith and assume the responsibility of an active church member. The congregation supports those bringing children for baptism and the baptized child. The church community provides opportunities for Christian nurture so that that child may grow in his/her Christian faith. Baptisms are welcome at all worship services.
Additionally, when parents attend the baptism class, instructions are provided about the meaning and responsibilities of baptism.
In infant baptism, the parent(s) take the vows on behalf of the child and promise to raise her or him in the Christian faith. Similarly, the congregation vows to support the child’s growth in faith.
Infant baptisms are held the second Sunday of each month (unless Christmas or Easter falls on those days).
Baptisms are open to children of PCW members.
- If you are a member of PCW contact Betty Born to discuss baptism details.
- If you are not a member, contact the church office or visit westfieldpc.org for information
on becoming a PCW member. A pastor will be happy to speak with you as you begin this journey.
- Parents attend a baptism class with a pastor and other families of children to be baptized.
- A baptism request form is completed and submitted to the church office to be approved by the Worship Commission.
As with infant baptism, adults wishing to be baptized must be a member of PCW. Contact Betty Born, the Church Secretary, to begin the process, 908-233-0301 ext. 24.
Adult baptisms are usually part of the service welcoming new members or part of the Confirmation service.